Vernon Township Board Meeting
June 20, 2023
Tim Plank called the meeting to order at 6:31 PM at the Township Trustee’s Office at 602 Vitality Drive, Fortville.
Township Board Members present: Tim Plank, Marybeth Sears, and Dave Hawkins.
Others present: Flory May, Stacy Nielsen, Chief Mark Elder, Jenny Kriger, Jeff Bellamy, Beth Marsh, Dan Justus, and Grant Adams.
Board Meetings Minutes from April and May 2023 have not been presented yet: Dave has the audio recordings and will forward the transcripts to be edited so they are available at the next meeting and can be voted upon as accepted.
- Flory discussed the Fire Territory Budget: McCordsville Town Council voted June 13, passed 4-0; Fortville Town Council voted June 19, passed 4-0, with one member not present.
- Payroll and Clarification of Overtime: Beth and Chief Elder discussed changes from 28 days to 14 days, which is easier to manage with fewer errors (hourly workers, not salaried).
- Pre-Budget submitted to DLGF on June 19; Budget Meeting scheduled for August 17.
- Two new job descriptions were created; existing positions will be transitioned to combine various duties. Jenny will continue with Township Assistance and has taken on Admin duties under the title Professional Administrator. Stacy will continue as Deputy Trustee and has taken on Administrative duties under the title Director of Administration.
- Organizational Chart: attorney Jeff Bellamy raised concerns on Stacy’s new title: Deputy should remain in case Flory is unable to act as Trustee; this will be discussed later.
- Salary Resolution: Beth announced all changes. Marybeth motioned to accept, Dave seconded the motion, Tim called the vote: 2023-6-20 A was passed 3-0.
Property Management Update:
- Fire Stations:
- The leak at Fortville and the warranty issues with Boyle Construction were discussed.
- Transition from McCordsville Volunteer Station to Station 432: Chief Elder discussed issues with the volunteer station attempting to place conditions on the Township; since the Township will only lease the building until Station 432 is complete, their conditions will not be accepted.
- The swearing-in ceremony will take place August 25th at 6:30 PM at Mercy Road Church. The ribbon-cutting ceremony for Officials will take place August 17 at 5:30 PM at the new station.
- Public tours will be available September 30th from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- Re-zoning of 600 and 602 Vitality Drive from Commercial Neighborhood to Institutional: the next meeting is June 29 at 6:30 PM; the Town of Fortville Advisory Plan Commission will review the zoning change.
- Library: the updated site plan was presented to the Board; additional information will follow, depending on the library’s choice of site (TBD).
- The Gardens of Vernon Township: the Board was shown an updated site plan for the gardens. Meyer Najem Construction manager contract is being reviewed by legal; plans for the site are in development.
- Flory and Stacy discussed their call with Trust Indiana on June 15 regarding various investment options available to government agencies/municipalities; any investments with Trust Indiana (or other agencies) will align with the policies previously adopted by the Board, not to exceed 25% of total holdings.
- Status update: Bondry is still working on completing the report and will advise once completed.
Old Business: N/A
- Dan Justus and Grant Adams of McCordsville Volunteer, Inc. advised the Board that they are pursuing the donation of 7580 Form Street to the Town of McCordsville.
Tim Plank called the meeting to adjourn at 8:00 PM.
Vernon Township Trustee:
Florence May _________________________________________
Vernon Township Board:
Tim Plank _________________________________________
Marybeth Sears _________________________________________
David Hawkins _________________________________________